Friday, March 8, 2013

Hoof trimming

It's time for my horses to get their feet trimmed again, so this gets me thinking about just how important it is to have someone skilled to work with.  Most good farriers are more than willing to work with us bodyworkers, but of course not all hoof trimmers are created equal.  I have been very interested in barefoot trimming for the past six or seven years.  I compete totally barefoot with both of my endurance horses, for most rides.  If there is a particular part of a ride that is very rocky, I will boot with Easyboot Gloves.  When I move up to further distances (75 and 100 mile rides), I am playing with the idea of using Easyboot glue-ons.  I train totally barefoot, and my horses are turned out on hilly/rocky pasture twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.  Granted I don't have that many endurance miles, but it's working for me so far.  Don't fix what isn't broken, I guess...

My horses are trimmed by Autumn Chronister.  She is a Degreed Applied Equine Podiatrist and MIAEP (Member of the Institute of Applied Equine Podiatry).  She has been trimming my horses feet for almost a year now, and everyone is looking great.  More information can be found here: www.appliedequinepodiatry.org.


 Happy Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment